Live transcription is a service which uses ASR (Automatic Speech Recognition) technology to present real-time machine-generated captions within meetings. After turning these options on all spoken content in a meeting will have an accompanying text version. In Zoom this will be available as captions as well as a transcript sidebar including identification of each speaker. Live transcription is available to Whiting School of Engineering faculty, staff, and students in both Zoom and Teams meetings.
Note: Automated transcription services should be considered a helpful addition to a meeting and are not a substitute for human transcription as they are often in the 70-80% accuracy range. Please contact your school/program’s disability services office if you have an accommodation need.
Zoom Live Transcription:
- Log in to wse.zoom.us and click on Settings.
- Under your advanced meeting settings, toggle on the Closed captioning feature and check the box below it to Enable live transcription.
- In your meeting, you will now see a Live Transcript option. Click Enable Auto-Transcription.
- That's it! Enjoy high-quality live transcription in your Zoom meeting.
Teams Live Transcription:
- Start a meeting and go to your meeting controls and select More options.
- In the More options menu, select Turn on live captions.
- That's it! Enjoy high-quality live transcriptions in your Teams meeting.
Please note that Teams does not save captions.
To make sure your live transcript is as accurate as possible follow the suggested tips below.
- Conducted your meetings in a location free from background noise.
- Speak clearly into your microphone.
- Make sure you are using the highest-quality equipment available to you.