All instructions in this guide are for PC and Mac users unless specified. Instructions are specifically drafted for MathType 7.
Download and Install
- Copy the license key provided by your instructional designer to Notepad.
- Close Word and Powerpoint.
- Download the installer file from the following URL:
- PC – https://store.wiris.com/en/products/downloads
- MAC – https://store.wiris.com/en/products/downloads/mathtype
- Once the download is complete, navigate to the file’s location in your Downloads folder.
- Double click the installer file (PC – MathType-win-en; MAC – MathType-mac-en.pkg). Your operating system may prompt you with a security warning. Dismiss the warning, approve the installation, and follow onscreen prompts provided by the installer.
- Open Word. Navigate to the dropdown menu for MathType and double click to open the MathType menu.
- When the MathType dialogue box opens, go to the Help dropdown menu and select ‘Unlock/Register MathType.’ In the smaller dialogue box that opens, paste the license key into the ‘Product key’ field. Double click the update button.
- Close Word.
- MathType should now also be installed in PPT when you open it on the same computer. It appears as a dropdown item in the same way it appears in Word.
Introductory Tutorials – Using MathType to Write Equations
- From Word, double click on the MathType drop down menu and select Display. From the MathType dialogue box that opens, select the Help dropdown menu, then select MathType Tutorial. To access the tutorial directly go to: https://docs.wiris.com/en/mathtype/mathtype_desktop/basic_tutorials?utm_source=Product&utm_medium=MathTypeWin#before_you_start
- The complete introductory tutorial takes about 15 minutes. It is divided into the following sections:
- Before You Start
- Fractions and Square Roots
- Working with Microsoft Word
- Sums, Subscripts, and superscripts
- Editing Old Equations
- Link to More Advanced Tutorial Library
- Note that MathType works the same in Word and Powerpoint.