There are several options for annotating with a touch device or stylus on your computer including traditional digital drawing tablets such as Wacom, laptops with touchscreens, and mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones. In this quick tutorial, we’ll go through two options for writing on the whiteboard or annotating in applications: 1. Zoom mobile app, 2. mirror your iPhone or iPad to your computer.
Zoom Mobile App
This is the easiest approach.
- Download and install the Zoom mobile app from the app store
- Open the Zoom mobile app
- Sign in to Zoom
- Click Start a Meeting (if you want to run the meeting on your iOS or Android device) or Join your own meeting as participant (if you want to run the meeting from your computer but annotate on what you’re sharing on your desktop with your iOS or Android device)
- Click Share and select the app you would like to use for annotation (e.g., screen, OneDrive, whiteboard, etc.)
- Android only - You can share your entire screen including any application on your Android device. At the bottom of your screen, tap Annotate to open the annotation tools or tap Stop Share to stop sharing and go back to meeting controls.
- Android Sharing Device Audio
While sharing your screen, you can also share device audio if your device meets the below requirements:
- Android 10 or higher
- Granted Zoom permission to record audio when prompted
- Sound generated by the app you're sharing is allowed to be captured by non-system applications. Some apps may block sound from being shared for security and privacy reasons.
NOTE: You cannot annotate when sharing your entire screen into the meeting via iOS device. If you need to annotate when sharing an entire iOS screen, see the Screen Mirroring or Wired Sharing instructions below.
Zoom Screen Mirroring (only for iOS)
This is a little more involved to set up but works well. The reason you might want to use this is if you want to use the audio and webcam from your computer but also want to share a whiteboard or annotate on a presentation.
- Download and install the iPhone/iPad plugin on your computer
- Make sure both your computer and iPhone/iPad are on the same WiFi network
- Open Zoom on your computer and start a meeting
- Click Share and then iPhone/iPad
- On iPhone/iPad swipe up to access your settings for flashlight, brightness, etc., and select “Screen Mirroring”
- In your Screen Mirroring options, select the computer with which you want to share your iPhone/iPad screen
Note: it will be in this format “Zoom-yourcomputername”
Wired Sharing iOS
Note: Sharing with a wired connection is only possible on Mac.
- In your meeting, click Share Screen.
- Choose iPhone/iPad via Cable.
- (Optional) If you would like to share your phone audio into the meeting, check Share computer sound.
- Click Share Screen
- Follow the on-screen instructions displayed.
- Connect your iPhone or iPad via cable.
- When prompted on the iOS device, select Trust.
- Enter your passcode if required