Sharing short segments of existing videos, such as office hours recordings, allows you to easily direct students to the information they need without having to find it in the larger context. A common scenario is wanting to highlight an item from an office hour for use in the next week’s materials. You can create a video clip from your office hours recording after it is uploaded to your Kaltura Media Gallery and post the clip directly to the relevant module or discussion board.
Instructions for Creating a Clip
This guide begins in the My Media area of Blackboard, for information on finding and/or adding the My Media module check out our Kaltura’s My Media and Media Gallery guide.
- From the My Media module, locate the video you wish to create a clip from and click the Edit button
- From the video details page this opens, click the Launch Editor button
- Using the timeline at the bottom or the controls in the video player find the section you wish to create a clip from
Note: With longer videos you may wish to zoom in on the timeline to see it in more detail, use the slider labeled Timeline Zoom to scale the timeline
- Once you have determined where to start the clip, click the Set In option on the playhead, and Set Out at the end of the clip
- When you are satisfied with the selection, press the Save a Copy button
Note: It is very important to choose ‘Save a Copy‘ rather than ‘Save’, as this will create a new video whereas choosing ‘Save’ will replace the existing video with only your clip.
- Give your clip a title and click the Create button
- You may now exit the editor page and your newly created clip will appear (after processing) in your My Media gallery
Once you have created your clips you can add them to the relevant areas of your course in the same way you add the office hours recordings, which you can read more about in our article Add Zoom Meeting Recordings to Blackboard.