A course must be made available before students enrolled in the course can view or access the course and its content.
Course availability is determined by course role. Blackboard instructors, course builders, teaching assistants, and graders can see and access unavailable courses from the My Courses tab and the course list, even though they’re marked as unavailable. However, students will be unable to access unavailable courses.
- In the Set Availability section, select Yes (to make course available) or No (to make course unavailable)
- Optionally, when you make a course available, you can choose one of these options in the Set Course Duration section:
- Continuous (default) to leave the course available without a specified start or end date.
- Select Dates to choose a start and/or end date. The start and end times are set automatically. The start time is midnight and the end time is 11:59:59.
- Days from the Date of Enrollment to specify a specific length of time users have to access the course after enrolling. This option is best for self-paced courses.
- Select Submit.
You can control when your course is private—or unavailable—to your students. For example, you may not want students to access your course during the building process.
At EP we set courses to automatically become available to students at the beginning of the term. If you want to make your course available earlier, you will want to either a) change the start date, or b) set to “Continuous”.
- Click on Customization in the left hand menu
- Select Properties
- Under Set Course Duration, select either Continuous or set an earlier Start Date
You should never make your course unavailable after the beginning of a term. Do not make a course unavailable through course properties or through the Quick Tool Pad.
Instead, if you’re still working on your course, you should limit access to the content inside the course.