Follow the steps below to download Explain Everything for the iPad.
Note: You will need an Apple ID to download Explain Everything on the iPad. To learn more about how to do this please visit https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204316
- Tap on the App Store application on your iPad.
- Type Explain Everything in the top right “search” panel.
- Tap the GET button to download. (Note: You may be prompted to enter your Apple ID and password to download.)
Creating an Account
- After you’ve successfully installed Explain Everything on your iPad, open the app to get started.
- Select Create Account and after you are signed in click Join with CODE so that you can enter the License Code you were given. Note: If you were not provided an Explain Everything code by your instructional designer, please contact the EP Help Desk.
Follow these steps to setup OneDrive, a cloud-based storage service that is part of Office365, on Explain Everything:
- From the Home Screen, tap the … to get to the Settings in the top right corner. Click on the Integrations tab and tap the button for OneDrive.
- Then enter your JHED ID email address. (Note: Please use “jh.edu” and not “jhu.edu”) Click Next and then you should see the JHU authentication page, where you will enter your JHED ID and Password.
- Tap "Allow access to OneDrive."
Importing Media from OneDrive into Explain Everything
Follow these steps to import media from OneDrive into Explain Everything.
- Tap the New Project button and then select Files
- Select OneDrive from the available options.
- To import media into Explain Everything, tap the icon of the file that you want to import. (Note: You can import a variety of media including; mp4, PDF, PPT, Word, Excel, Pages, Keynote, Numbers.)
- Select the media you would like to use and wait for the checkbox to appear, then tap Import. Explain Everything imports the file and opens it to a new project.
Editing and Export Settings
Before you begin recording please make sure your Settings are set correctly. To get to the Settings options click the three ... in the upper right.
Then go to the Editing tab. Make sure the New Project Ratio is set to 16 x 9.
Next select the Export tab. Change the Resolution to 1920 x 1080.
Recording a Project
Follow these steps to record a project in Explain Everything.
You can record a project in Explain Everything by importing media as shown above or by simply clicking the + New Project button on the home screen and selecting Blank Canvas or Template. Either way, the tools available to create your project are the same.
Tap the record button. This will start the timer indicating that you are recording the screen. Explain Everything not only records your audio but also your screen, including any writing, drawing, and annotations. (Note: If this is you first time recording on the iPad you may get a prompt asking if Explain Everything can have access to your Microphone. Tap “OK.”)
- If you would like a break while recording, simply tap the pause button.
- If you would like to re-record the audio, tap the rewind button. This will bring the timer to 00:00:00.
- If you want to re-record everything you have to be in Overwrite mode instead of the default Mix mode.
- When you hit the record button to re-record in Overwrite mode it will show this prompt for continuing.
Exporting Your Project
You will most likely be using OneDrive to share files between you and the Instructional Designer. Follow the steps below to export and share the project via OneDrive.
- From the Home screen click Share & Inspire, select the project to share and click Export.
- You will then see the Export as options. Most likely you will be exporting as a Video or a Project.
- Since exporting a video takes a lot of time, we recommend exporting as a Project. Scroll over and select OneDrive and then tap Export, this will export the file to your OneDrive account. (Note: Your Instructional Designer should have the Explain Everything Compressor application on their desktop to compress the project to an .MP4 file.)
- If you have used any of the Explain Everything tools while recording, such as; drawing, writing, annotating etc., we also recommend that you export the slides as a PDF. To do this tap follow the same export steps above, but when you get to Export as choose Document. This will automatically export as a PDF when you select OneDrive.
Explain Everything Tools
Explain Everything utilizes slide-based storyboarding for preparing explanations and presentations. When recording, all actions on the screen including drawing, moving, scaling, rotating, and addition of objects are recorded along with any audio narration which is captured through the iPad microphone. To learn more about the Tools and Settings for Explain Everything, you can watch tutorials in the Learn section of the app or you can visit the Explain Everything Resource Guide.