Video materials in courses at the Whiting School's Engineering for Professionals program need to be uploaded to Kaltura, EP's video management platform, which is integrated with Blackboard as well as Zoom (Meetings recorded to the cloud in Zoom with a WSE Zoom account are automatically uploaded to Kaltura, see this article for information on adding these videos to Blackboard). The benefits to uploading this way include better playability on mobile devices and improved streaming for students with weaker internet connections, as well as easier captioning, editing, and video player controls.
Adding a Video Directly to a Content Area
The simplest way to upload a video to Blackboard is to use the Kaltura Mashup link the Rich Text Editor.
- In any content area in Blackboard where the RTE is available (e.g., Announcement, Discussion, Item, etc.), click on Mashups and select Kaltura Media
- Click on Add New –> Media Upload
- Chose the video file you want to upload and wait for it to process. Optionally give your video a description and some tags
- While the video uploads, fill in the fields for title, description, and tags as needed
- Once the video has finished uploading, the progress bar will turn green and say "Upload Completed!" after which you will click Save and Embed to insert the video
- The rich text editor box will now show a yellow box where the video will display once the item is published. The following two images show the text editor and the item after pressing Submit:
Adding a Video From the Course Media Gallery
To add a video to your course Media Gallery, follow these steps:
- Go to the "Media" tab and click "Add Media"
- Click 'Add New' and then 'Media Upload'
- Upload your video file
- Once the upload completes (this may take some time with large files) enter the appropriate title and metadata (tags, description), click 'Save' and then click 'Go To Media Gallery'